Saturday, December 20, 2008

On my way to Vegas


Since I'm suffering from a case of jetlag, I thought I would take a few minutes to update my blog. What better way to fill the void than to tell you about my flight to Vegas.

My vacation really started Wednesday night. I figure once you leave work for the last time, you start your vacation. Carlten was also flying out Thursday morning so we decided to drive to the airport together. They picked me up around 7 and made our way back to their house. We were up until about 11 playing Super Mario Kart on Wii -- tell me that's not the beginning of a vacation!

The next morning we left about 630 for the airport in Frankfurt. Their flight left at 940 and mine was scheduled to leave at 1140. Yeah, I would have some time to kill, but at least I wouldn't have to worry about how I was going to get to the airport. I was actually so early they wouldn't even let me check in at the counter yet.

After Carlten checked in, we went upstairs for breakfast - McDonald's of course -- hey, the golden arches are universal.

Shortly after, they went through security and I went back to the counter. They still weren't checking in my flight, but I found a "bag drop" for people who had checked in online (yay!) and they were more than happy to take care of me.

My next stop was passport control. They asked me several questions because I was traveling on my tourist passport, but had entered the country on an official passport. Eventually, they let me through and I spent the next half an hour entertaining myself with duty free shopping.

After I got tired of shopping, I went through security and settled in for a long wait. Fortunately, I had a book with me. And of course, I talked to Nate for awhile. He was getting ready for his trip to Malta.

Eventually, I get on the plane and start the 10 hour trip to Ohio. The flight wasn't so bad. I was about halfway back on the plane, but in the aisle seat. They showed several movies, though none of them were very good. I mean, could we get a best picture winner or something?

I couldn't sleep so I spent most of the time reading....and ignoring the girl next to me. She was really sick and was throwing up in those airplane bags half the trip. She didn't want to get up so she just hurled in the chair next to me. I had to put in my earplugs and discreetly put my fingers under my nose. I'm a sympathetic puker - everyone's lucky I didn't start hurling in the aisle.

Naturally, our plane is running late and I only have 50 minutes to get through customs and on my connecting flight to Vegas. Most of the people on my flight were in the same boat -- I mean c'mon, who really wants to go to Ohio?

So I spend 20 minutes or so waiting to get through the passport control folks -- naturally, I picked the wrong line. It took FOREVER to get through everything. Then I had to pick up my bag (which wasn't out yet) and take it to the baggage handlers so they could transfer it to my next flight. Then I had to wait in line to go through security again.

Tell me why we have to go through security again? I went straight from the airplane, to passport control, to baggage and straight back to security. Where the hell would I have gotten a knife or gun?

Anyway, I start to get frustrated because I'm running out of time. Then I really get frustrated when people start ducking under the ropes and cutting people in line. I almost made a scene, but decided not to piss off karma. Instead, I told the TSA guy (who must've been all of 18) what was going on and told him to handle it.

So I'm standing there in my socks waiting for my bag to come out of the security machine and then I hear the words I was dreading come over the pa system.

"Final call for flight 37 to Las Vegas at gate B11"

Oh shit.

Where am I? Am I even close to B11?

Fortunately, I see a sign for my gate. I pick up my stuff and I make a break for it. I even ran up the escalator.

Keep in mind I'm in my socks.

I almost fell because the floor was so slick. But damn, I was determined to make my flight!

I made it to the gate just in time and was one of the last people to board. Some of the other people from my original flight got lucky and ran up behind me.

This flight was uneventful. I tried to sleep since I was in a window seat and I probably dozed off and on for about an hour. To kill the other three hours, I watched E! Specifically, Snoop Dogg's reality tv show and True Hollywood Story Clay Aiken.

Hey, all I have at home is German cable. It was fine by me.

A gazillion hours later, I safely arrive in Vegas and for good measure, so does my bag!

My dad picked me up at the airport and I was greeted with homemade chicken and dumplings. Sigh - it's good to be home.

For the record, by the time I got home it was 3 a.m. in Germany, which means I was traveling for almost 24 hours. I was in desperate need of a shower!

Since then, I've been hanging out at home in my pajamas. Although, I did go to DSW yesterday and buy new shoes. I mean, a real shoe store! It's all so overwhelming!

Today, I'm tackling the mall. I can barely wait.


1 comment:

Chris said...

Welcome back to the states and have a blast in Vegas with the family! Merry Christmas!