Sunday, September 28, 2008

Working out, bad hair and the fall fest

Blogging is for addictive personalities

So while I originally kept up my blog on a daily basis I have slowly succumbed to the easy way out – i.e. I’d rather read a good book and drink some hot chocolate than update my blog.

Admittedly, this is partly because I have fallen off the workout makeover wagon. I did really well for about 7 days and then, well, then I just got busy. And tired of working out.

In all honesty, the strength building circuits aren’t bad because I can do them at home. I always fall flat when it comes to cardio. There’s no way I can get up at 5 a.m. to go to the gym. I can hardly wake up on time as it is.

Case in point – last Wednesday I had to be at work early for morning report. My alarm went off at 5:30 and I hit snooze. Correction, I hit what I thought was snooze. Instead, I accidentally hit the off button. So I roll back over and eventually wake up. What time was it you ask?

6:45 a.m.

I don’t think I’ve ever made it out of the house in less than 30 minutes, but I did that morning.

Granted, superficial sacrifices were made in the process. Instead of painstakingly drying my hair sections at a time I ran the dryer though it a couple of times and hit the road. It semi-dried because I had the car window down, but the result wasn’t exactly the windblown look I’d hoped for.

The best part?

I told all of the admins about my morning issues and had them laughing til they cried. At which point, they’d always point out that I looked fine, no different than normal.

Fantastic.

So I always look unkempt? Not exactly the uber professional look I was going for…

But back to what I was originally saying – obviously a morning work out is not going to work for me. I always bring my gym clothes in hopes of going after work, but sometimes I’m there so late it’s just not worth it. I just want to go home.

For example, on Tuesday I had to drive to Stuttgart to meet with one of the commanders. It’s about an hour and a half drive, but the traffic is horrendous. Seriously, between the construction and the crazies on the Autobahn I probably cheated death about 5 times on my way there and back.

Traffic was so bad that by the time I got back to the office it was about 7 p.m. And I spent another 30 minutes doing work. Like I’m going to the gym after that!

However, I will say I have been good about going to my Pilates class! I’ve now gone three consecutive weeks in a row. My teacher said I’ve shown vast improvement, but I figure it’s easy to show improvement when you’re the most remedial kid in the class. There’s nowhere to go but up.

My classmates are trying to get another Pilates class going on Mondays – Pshh.

Pass.

So to continue with random babbling – there was a fall fest in Heidelberg yesterday. It’s great because I can walk down the stairs of my apartment, open the door and step out into a huge party.

Granted, the marching band at 11 a.m. was a little much, but it’s all about give and take when you live downtown.

I met up with Danelli and Sobryce, but it took awhile to reach them. I kid you not, there was one part of the street that was at a complete and utter standstill. I’ve never thought of myself as claustrophobic, but I was ready to have an anxiety attack.

Plus, Germans are pushy! This old man kept pushing the small of my back. I had to turn around and give him the “don’t f*cking touch me again” look. He laid off, but the crowd starting pushing and the next thing I knew his beer belly was pushing me forward. I felt disgusting. I felt violated. I was ready to go back upstairs. And most importantly, I wondered why I didn't know more German swear words.


Twenty minutes later I made it out of the cluster and literally ran into Dan. Well, technically he ran into me, but it didn’t matter. I was so relieved to see four people I recognized. We went back toward the stage and met up with Carlten and eventually even Sled showed up.

Um yes, that’s right – four couples and Jen.

Needless to say, after a couple of Newcastles everything was fine.

Things just aren’t festive if you aren’t drinking a beer and eating a brat (mine was a ½ meter long!).

I also ran into a few people I work with, which was nice. It’s like wow, I actually ran into someone I know in the middle of Germany – yay!

Anyway, it ended up being really cold so we called the evening pretty early around 8ish. I was tired anyway because I had deep cleaned the apartment earlier. I think it’s now safe to call my landlord so he can remove the salmon-colored couches.

I couldn’t call him with the apartment looking a wreck. I wouldn’t want him to worry.

Okay this post was really random. I need to post more often.

I’ll try harder in the future.

Cheers!
Jen

4 comments:

Chris said...

Don't feel bad about not posting too often... you can just be extra lazy like me and say "I'll be busy for a month... check back later," lol. However, with that... It's off to bed (because I actually am crazy busy, hehe) G'night!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, you should write me an email.

Jee-Sun said...

Hi. :) I found your blog!

Jennjilla said...

hey, update this blog MISSY!